It is really easy to turn Mexican dishes into yummy vegetarian meals. These butternut squash quesadillas with black beans are no different.
Prep time 15 mins
Cook time 40 mins
1 large butternut squash, peeled and diced
1 tbsp paprika
Salt and pepper
4 spring onions, sliced
250g tinned black beans
450g plain flour
2 tbsp plain yoghurt
150 ml water
Mango, peeled and chopped into cubes
100g cherry tomatoes, halved
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
2 spring onions, sliced
50g coriander, chopped
Juice of ½ lime
2 tbsp olive oil
- Make the filling first by putting your squash in a roasting tray and cover with cumin, paprika then season with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil over the squash then put tray in a preheated oven at 180 for 30 minutes.
- Make your salsa by combining mango, tomatoes, garlic, spring onions and coriander in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Stir thoroughly.
- Meanwhile make the tortillas by mixing flour with yoghurt and keep adding water until an elastic dough forms. Dust your work surface with flour and kneed the dough for a couple of minutes until smooth. Roll your dough into a sausage shape and chop into 8 evenly sized pieces. Roll into a circular tortilla shape around 20cm each in diameter.
- Heat a dry pan and cook each tortilla for 10 seconds before spooning ⅛ of the filling mixture on one side then folding the tortilla over. Now cook the folded quesadilla for up 3-5 mins on each side until golden brown.
- Serve your butternut squash quesadillas with salsa (and optional home made oven chips)